[Foundation-l] Cultural policy and Internet in Serbia

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 11:43:26 UTC 2007

The day before yesterday I got a call to talk about cultural policy
and Internet in Serbia tomorrow. Today I realized that it is a good
idea to ask other people about the ideas. So, even there is not enough
of time for discussion, please send your ideas. Text of my "ask
Slashdot" is below.

* * *

Tomorrow I will talk about cultural policy and Internet in Serbia with
representatives of Serbian ministry for culture, the City of Belgrade
and a couple of important organizations which focus is somewhere
between society and Internet. It will be some kind of open meeting, I
expect no more then 100 people in the audience. Talk is organized by
South East Europe Portal for Culture and Art[1] and Ebart
consulting[2] (didn't find page in English for the last one).

You may guess that there is no relation between cultural policy of
Serbia and Internet. However, some people are trying to change the
situation and I think that they should get help from local people who
are living on the Internet for a long time.

There is, also, one big trap here. I don't see a lot of differences
between "cultural policy" and "nationalist policy". So, I wouldn't
like to talk about "promotion of Serbia on the Internet", but about
making good conditions in Serbia for independent free speech,
spreading free knowledge, free software etc.

However, I am a little bit tired of more then a decade long fight for
computerization, Internetization, freesoftwareization,
freeknowledgization in Serbia. And I don't have a lot of ideas what to
talk with them. Because of that I prefer to become a medium for yours
and others good ideas.

The meeting is at 12:00 CEST. I have to be there at 11:30, which means
that I would be able to analyze your responses up to 9:00 CEST. Thanks
a lot for any kind of useful input!

[1] - http://www.seecult.org/english/
[2] - http://www.arhiv.co.yu/