[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 26 03:30:48 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton writes:

>>  That's actually not the flaw in Pascal's Wager
>
> Yes, it is. Pascal's wager is that you should believe it God because
> it can't do any harm and could do a lot of good. I guess you could go
> with some harm and infinite good, which is exactly equivalent.

You've restated Pascal's Wager correctly, but you haven't stated the
flaw.  (To wit, it is unclear that to choose to be a Christian --
instead of, say, a Hindu or a Muslim or an atheist -- is without
negative consequences.)

> If it turns out we can't practically remove the infringing content,
> the only alternative would be closing Wikipedia down. That's as
> terrible as it gets from the POV of Wikipedia...

Imminent death of Wikipedia predicted. Film at 11.

>> You really don't get it, do you? IT ONLY TAKES ONE. Who cares how
> large the class is? As long as it is non-empty, we have a problem.

Thanks for the caps. I suppose it is theoretically possible that your
assessment of the legal threat to Wikipedia is better than mine.

Best regards,

--Mike