[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 14:53:49 UTC 2007

> Either follow the terms of the GFDL or
> don't.  If you don't follow the GFDL, that means all of my contributions
> revert to ordinary copyright law with all rights reserved, and I do not
> give permission to use this content under any other license.
>
> -- Robert Horning

Let me ask you, what exactly does the GFDL have that another license
might not, and why be such a stickler for the GFDL? If you are looking
to protect your rights over your contributions, most importantly the
right of attribution, why wouldn't a license like CC-BY-SA be
acceptable? A license like CC-BY-SA affords nearly all the same rights
and protections as GFDL, but doesn't require the work to be
accompanied by a lengthy copy of the license document.

I think what most people want is (a) that their works are made freely
available, and (b) their rights are protected. Given these points,
what would be a rationale for opposing such a license switch, besides
wanting to be a pain in the ass?

--Andrew Whitworth