[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Nov 23 14:39:10 UTC 2007

Mike Godwin wrote:
> Robert Hornung writes:
>

>> I'll add here that I add contributions to Wikimedia projects using my
>> actual given name, rather than using a psuedonym.  One of the
>> reasons I
>> do this is explicitly because I do assert copyright over my
>> contributions, and to make the point that I can legally claim each
>> edit
>> I've performed.
>>

> If the migration happens, I will support 100 percent any request by
> you to remove your content rather than have it be interpreted under a
> new, harmonized GFDL/CC license.
>

> --Mike

With over 2000 edits on en.wikipedia alone, and 5000 on en.wikibooks....
over 4 years old in some cases... I think that would be quite the feat
to accomplish from a technical viewpoint.  There is hardly a part of
en.wikibooks that I haven't touched at least on some level.  Mind you,
I'm not trying to say I'm going to be a PITA on this, but a presumption
that existing copyright claims are irrelevant and can be effectively
ignored is going to be something tough to accomplish and IMHO a legal
nightmare.  I know for a fact that I am not alone here on this
declaration of copyright on my contributions to Wikimedia projects.

My contributions have been under the terms of the GFDL, and whatever the
FSF says is the "or later version" I will respect in terms of fitting to
the fine points of the GFDL.  There is no way I can "take the license
away" at this point, but I certainly am going to expect that the terms
of the GFDL are followed on my contributions.  That is the only point
I'm trying to make, and suggesting that some sort of "community
discussion" on Wikipedia is needed once the revised version of the GFDL
is available is not really a discussion that I see as something either
productive or even necessary.  Either follow the terms of the GFDL or
don't.  If you don't follow the GFDL, that means all of my contributions
revert to ordinary copyright law with all rights reserved, and I do not
give permission to use this content under any other license.

-- Robert Horning

--  Robert Horning