[Foundation-l] FW: A Crime in Missouri

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 23:07:57 UTC 2007

I couldn't answer more than conjecture here, since I haven't taken
criminal law courses yet, (next semester though!)   If you're really
interested, I can send a brief email, or put you through to someone
who could answer better than I.

There was once a federal cyberstalking bill something like 10 years
ago, but I don't think it ever made it out of committee.

Quickly via google, I see in Florida:  http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/index.cfm?Mode=Bills&Submenu=1&BI_Mode=ViewBillInfo&Billnum=0479&Year=2003

"H479 passed; approved by Governor Jeb Bush on 5/21/03; effective
10/01/2003
Relating to the offense of stalking

Offense of Stalking; defines term "cyberstalk" to mean communication
by means of electronic mail or electronic communication which causes
substantial emotional distress & does not serve legitimate purpose;
includes within offenses of stalking & aggravated stalking willful,
malicious, & repeated cyberstalking of another person; provides
penalties, etc. Amends 784.048; reenacts 775.084(1)(d), 790.065(2)(c),
921.0022(3)(f),(g), 960.001(1)(b). "

Oh, and I remember a couple years ago New York was trying to pass a
cyberstalking and harassment law that was REALLY draconian, but once
again I don't know whatever happened to it.

Also, wasn't there a more recent (i.e. second term bush) attempt to
get a federal cyberstalking bill pushed through? Something about an
amendment or a rider to an anti-violence against women act?

-Dan