[Foundation-l] [EWW] Edit Wikipedia Week

Christiano Moreschi moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 22:44:44 UTC 2007

" Both tracks are equally important: quality _and_
 participation. And one, ultimately, depends on the other."

I have to chuckle here - this is simply not the case. Check out the revision history of [[Herodotus]]. It's been edited continuously for yonks, mostly by IPs adding drips and drabs here and there. The result is a pile of lies on one of our most core articles - Herodotus is the Father of History, FFS! I remember checking out the article's June 2006 version. It still contained plenty of lies, but actually far less. Participation has killed off quality, and has done so for thousands of other articles. You look at the 5000 lonely articles that might be OK among the swathe of 2 million fairly crappy ones. 90 percent of those will have been written by one Sherlock Holmes, who will probably have a couple of faithful Doctor Watsons copy-editing for him and doing general clean-up. Sooo...all our best articles are produced exactly how they would be at a normal encyclopaedia. Don't we find this suggestive?

Ergo, the fewer people editing an article, the better it is (BTW, this explains why so many FAs are on weird, random, highly obscure articles, when half the really vital articles are for shit). And then - excuse me - we ask more people, randomly picked off the street/Starbucks, to walk in the front door and piss up the curtains. We don't need more editors - we need a lot fewer, carefully picked on grounds of knowledge, sanity, IQ, and credentials. A growing community, the last thing we want, is going to create more articles - also the last thing we want. You wouldn't consider slapping an arbitrary article cap on enwiki, would you? Say one of 2.5 million allowed, but no further? Maybe if I asked nicely?

CM

P.S. You'll forgive me for not really buying into the stable versions stuff - haven't we heard it all before? I'll believe it when I see it, really.
PP.S. Nerdy white young men? Ah, those beautiful children of the Enlightenment! How well, and with such sweet reason, do they understand NPOV! More, please!
PPP.S. Ooh, the fundraiser. Next time we do this, couldn't you hire someone professional to do the banners? We'd all shout a lot less if you did.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.