[Foundation-l] [EWW] Edit Wikipedia Week

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 18:45:35 UTC 2007

I'd encourage people be careful about the message here.  "Edit Wikipedia
Week" (abbreviated "EWW"?), sounds much like something Stephen Colbert might
come up with.  The goal is not to triple the number of elephants in Africa
[a bit of Colbert inspired vandalism], but rather to get more people
involved and teach good editting.

Most of the suggestions for activities do seem to have a reasonable focus,
but I think some of the backlash on this list is coming from people who
perceive this event as pushing editting solely for editting's sake, and yes
pushing editing can be destructive.  Instead, I think we would be better
served by thinking of this as a "Learn Wikipedia Week" or a "Teach Wikipedia
Week".  In other words, think of it as not simply getting more people to hit
the "edit" button, but more comprehensively as a effort to try and teach
productive editting skills to new users.

In addition to presentations, and the like, a bit of valuable preparation
might be to think about how people learn Wikipedia and spend time cleaning
up some of the introductory pages that new users first see.

-Robert Rohde