[Foundation-l] [EWW] Edit Wikipedia Week

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 15:33:09 UTC 2007

> On 20/11/2007, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear community,
> >
> > Few days ago a pretty neat idea was proposed, an idea which could
> > involves all of the community members, all of you: the "Edit Wikipedia
> > Week". That week will take place from December 3 to 8, 2007 and the
> > concept is pretty simple: you, as a community member, will have the
> > chance to spread the word about how to edit Wikipedia or learn how to
> > work on one of the other sister projects.
>
> Yeah you might want to think about your wording there. We built this
> wiki and yet only now do we have the chance to tell other people how
> to edit? What do you think we have been doing for the last few years?

Wow. Have you ever seen any attempt to do things differently that you
didn't complain about?

> There are many ways to motivate the community. Sugar coated
> condescension isn't one of them.

Yes, because whining vaguely about misphrased English and complaining
about someone encouraging people to do things is in no way
condescending or unproductive.

This may or may not be a useful project. We lose nothing by doing it,
and it certainly isn't "condescending" or "insulting" to try it.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk