[Foundation-l] fundraising idea

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 14:08:11 UTC 2007

On 18/11/2007, Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org> wrote:

> This is similar to a proposal I half-jokingly suggested on the ComCom
> mailing list. A toolbar for Firefox that gives instant Wikipedia or other
> project search and when the user hits a certain number of WMF page views
> they are invited to make a nominal donation to pay for their usage.
> This would keep the load off the WMF servers, and it would be totally
> opt-in. If you set it at 500 pageviews and ask for $5 or $10 then when you
> click on the donate button in the toolbar it takes you to a page detailing
> what your money will do - not much - but it is a small, easy-to-make
> donation.

Other option: "$10 or improve 20 articles." It can then keep track of
your edits ;-)

Micropayments are a possible approach. In the UK, charities like to
get people to subscribe to a monthly direct debit - £5/month is a lot
easier to get out of people than a single lump of £60/year. I'm
surprised this isn't common in the US.

- d.