[Foundation-l] fundraising idea

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Sun Nov 18 09:36:37 UTC 2007

This is similar to a proposal I half-jokingly suggested on the ComCom
mailing list. A toolbar for Firefox that gives instant Wikipedia or other
project search and when the user hits a certain number of WMF page views
they are invited to make a nominal donation to pay for their usage.

This would keep the load off the WMF servers, and it would be totally
opt-in. If you set it at 500 pageviews and ask for $5 or $10 then when you
click on the donate button in the toolbar it takes you to a page detailing
what your money will do - not much - but it is a small, easy-to-make
donation.

Anyone who codes is free to suggest other features you could put into such a
toolbar. I can see you could have a pulldown of wiki-favourites. I'm sure a
few other features could be added in to make the toolbar more useful.

This also suffers from the issues pointed out with server-side
micropayments, but I believe it would get more uptake and be easier to do
than hooking into Mediawiki to track a user's pageviews.

This is not as an alternative to the fundraising drive, but as something
intended to keep donations coming in throughout the year.

Brian McNeil