[Foundation-l] Putting the Foundation back in WMF

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 23:31:05 UTC 2007

Do you not think that people have to be hired and fired with a sufficient
amount of lead time. Do you not expect that we are past the time when we can
come back on this. Do you not think that people have been looking for a new
house ??? My expectation is that we will move as scheduled to SF as there is
no choice in this any more.

On Nov 18, 2007 12:16 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/11/2007, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Endowments and contingency funds are nice, but right now that's all
> > academic.
> >
> > After 26 days this drive is at $725k.  Even running the drive for the
> > planned 2 months, nearly 80% longer than the longest previous drive, it
> will
> > be a huge surprise to come anywhere close to the $4.6M the foundation
> wrote
> > down for their "budget".
> > Rather than talking about how to put money away for the future, the
> > immediate discussion needs to be  A) how to raise money more
> effectively,
> > and/or B) how to make do with less.
> A good point. The easiest way I can see to spend less in the short
> term is to delay the move to SF. I haven't done the sums, so I don't
> know if that would be enough, but it would help. There are a lot of
> benefits to the move, but right now it would appear we simply can't
> afford it unless things greatly change. The other big expenditure is
> the appointment of an ED, but I'm not sure delaying that would be a
> good idea - we're never going to have a stable foundation until we
> sort out the governance.
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
> Unsubscribe: http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l

More information about the foundation-l mailing list