[Foundation-l] Fundraising totals as of Nov. 15, 2007 @ 12:20 PM (EST)

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 15:21:51 UTC 2007

Most of the pennies come in sprees (a donation a minute, or close to it).
Within a spree, if you get 100 pennies from repeated use of the same card,
that is a practical joker.  On the other hand, if you get 100 pennies from
100 different cards, that is almost certainly a sign that those cards are
stolen.

My understanding is that Paypal does not directly reveal credit card
numbers, but they do reveal the card holder's name.  With that, the donation
size, and timestamp, one could figure out which donations (if any) are most
likely part of sprees for the purpose of testing large numbers of stolen
cards.  It would still require that Paypal is interested in following up
though, since they are the only ones (if I understand correctly) to have the
actual card numbers.

-Robert Rohde