[Foundation-l] Steward elections

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 02:23:47 UTC 2007

On 2007.11.13 16:05:03 +0100, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> scribbled 0 lines:
> Hoi,
> How rights are given to people and what it takes to keep them is different
> per project. The notion that we are a meritocracy is exactly right. I am
> happy to suggest that Anthere, Angela and Jimbo merit this privilege. They
> merit it among other things because I believe and expect that they will not
> abuse this privilege.
>
> Also the notion that people have to compulsory hand in certain abilities
> like admin is not universally shared. I would suggest that as long as people
> do not abuse their admin functionality they can have it. When they abuse it,
> it can be taken away without much consideration because it is not given by a
> community after painful processes. It is given to do a job. After perceived
> abuse a community can discuss if a person should have another chance at
> having the admin functionality. The prevalent practice makes admin an
> accomplishment, it should not be. It should be because of merit and this
> merit exists for as long as the functionality is not abused.
>
> Our projects work on the basis of consensus. They are not necessarily
> democratic. Now democracy works best when there is consensus, but that does
> not make it a democracy even when most projects have some aspects of
> democracy.
>
> Thanks,
>     GerardM

That's all well and good, but the suggestion was not for en's style of 'indefinite adminship contingent on good behaviour' but for permanent positions. With en, there are practical reasons for not re-confirming administrators - it'd be hard to reconfirm even as rarely as every 2 years, because with ~1300 admin accounts, that'd be like one a day forever. But there are not that many stewards and AFAIK they are not all that busy with steward duties.

--
gwern