[Foundation-l] Steward elections

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 15:05:03 UTC 2007

Hoi,
How rights are given to people and what it takes to keep them is different
per project. The notion that we are a meritocracy is exactly right. I am
happy to suggest that Anthere, Angela and Jimbo merit this privilege. They
merit it among other things because I believe and expect that they will not
abuse this privilege.

Also the notion that people have to compulsory hand in certain abilities
like admin is not universally shared. I would suggest that as long as people
do not abuse their admin functionality they can have it. When they abuse it,
it can be taken away without much consideration because it is not given by a
community after painful processes. It is given to do a job. After perceived
abuse a community can discuss if a person should have another chance at
having the admin functionality. The prevalent practice makes admin an
accomplishment, it should not be. It should be because of merit and this
merit exists for as long as the functionality is not abused.

Our projects work on the basis of consensus. They are not necessarily
democratic. Now democracy works best when there is consensus, but that does
not make it a democracy even when most projects have some aspects of
democracy.

Thanks,
    GerardM