[Foundation-l] [Wiktionary-l] Wiktionary logo

Guillaume Paumier guillom.pom at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:28:32 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 3:16 PM, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Apparantly it is an article of faith. At the same time the previous
> attempt
> to another logo was imposed by people from outside of Wiktionary. This
> attempt was not really appreciated by several Wiktionary projects and the
> result is worse then what we had before.
>
> So, some believe that there should be one logo to rule them all. Now how
> get to such a ruling?

One solution (I'm not saying it's the best one, I'm open to suggestions)
would be to have a vote where only active people of Wiktionary are allowed
to vote.

> By the way, with multiple logos, it can only be confusing to the people
> that
> go to multiple wiktionaries and that are not familiar with both projects.
> In
> reality it is not big an issue. It may be an issue when you think in
> marketing terms but who is doing the marketing ??

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Marketing (it's not the first time I have the
feeling very few people are actually aware of its existence, despite the
fact this group is at the service of the community :).

And I confirm that having different logos for the same project is definitely
a marketing nightmare. Say you're creating some promotional material about
Wiktionary. You live in Switzerland, where there are at least 3 languages
(German, French, Italian). Imagine the 3 Wiktionary projects have a
different logo. You're not seriously going to design and print 3 different
leaflets or press kits with different logos.

And let's think about the foundation global documents. Which logo should be
chosen in the official press kit or other official documents of the
foundation? The English one? Why this one and not the Dutch one? etc.

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]