[Foundation-l] Moldovan Wikipedia

Johannes Rohr jorohr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 22:18:47 UTC 2007

GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>
writes:

> Hoi, The Romanians and Moldovans have let it explicitly known that
> they, by law, do not accept the Cyrillic expression of the
> language. Consequently, they denounce what they as a consequence
> recognise is not theirs. There is an unfinished war going on and
> this situation is consequently starkly political. The name of a
> language and the name of a country are not necessarily the same.. an
> obvious mistake.

[...]

Whatever you mean to say by that, I hope you are not trying to say
that Romanian/Moldovan written in Cyrillic script is a different
language from Romanian/Moldovan written in Latin script. However, if,
as I hope, this is not what you are trying to say, I cannot see any
point in arguing about the name of the language.

BTW, I'm by no means opposed to Cyrillic script. I earlier mentioned,
that it has been historically used by the Romanian Orthodox church,
meaning, that Romanian written in Cyrillic script is not even a Soviet
invention.

However, the decisive fact is, that there is, as far as I can see,
absolutely zero demand by native Moldovan/Romanian speakers for a
mo.wiki or for a multi-script Romanian Wikipedia.

Therefore, I completely fail to see why such a Wiki is necessary at
the present moment.

Thanks,

Johannes

--