[Foundation-l] Moldovan Wikipedia

Johannes Rohr jorohr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 07:02:45 UTC 2007

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 06:22:05 +0100, GerardM wrote:

> Hoi,
> From a policy point of view the language committee does not consider
> political arguments. The argument that a likelyhood is very small is
> exactly the kind of argument that would still allow a language to be
> accepted.

You are successfully confusing me.

1. because at any other occasion you insist that project closures are
none of langcom's business and
2. because langcom's policy is exactly: "no community - no wiki". In this
case there was, as far as I see, no community.

> The aim of our foundation is to provide information to all
> people, not just the people that you care for.

The only valid purpose of a "Moldavian" Wikipedia would be to serve a
Moldavian linguistic community. However, I cannot see that there has been
any demand by native Moldavians for such a Wiki, which is not surprising
if the observation is correct that the only remaining use of Cyrillic
script is in those places where it is enforced by ethnically Russian
dominated authorities.

> The arguments for closure for Moldovan are not shared by the language
> committee and it was a VOTE that closed the mo.wikipedia it was
> definetly not consensus.

Again: Can you name any native Moldavian/Romanian speaker who voted in
favour of the continuation of this project?

> It was also not done with permission of the
> board. The notion that you or anybody else feels that a language code is
> given out in error is politics. It is personal while I agree that you
> can have this opinion, it is an opinion you are entitled to it. I do not
> share your sentiments.

Then where exactly is it said that the mo language code is reserved for
Moldavian/Romanian /in Cyrillic script/?

> Also when you use these arguments and you insist that they are to be WMF
> policy, you do provide arguments to deny languages that are being
> considered. This is not a zero sum game.

?!?

Thanks,

Johannes