[Foundation-l] Do we need a Code of Participation?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Wed Nov 7 19:42:49 UTC 2007

       "Don't be a dick" is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak.
=8^o

       Here's an opt-in proposal, have it appear on the FIRST edit from
any IP or registered user INSTEAD of a [Save Page] button - button is
grayed out until all these checks are checked:

       == Editor opt-in ==

       __ No spam

       __ No vandalism

       __ No off-topic contributions

       I, ~~~~, agree, signed: __________.

       ----

       Keep it simple.  Get on with it.

       Oh, and by the way, admins are held to the same standard, where
deleting something that's not spam, not vandalism, not off-topic is
itself considered vandalism(!), your deletion shall be undeleted, your
admin license shall be revoked, return to square one to try again just
like every other newbie.

       ----

       == Report abuse page ==

       __ admin

       __ editor

       __ deleted non-spam, non-vandalism, non-off-topic contribution

       __ banned user __________

       Please review, link: __________

       Signed ~~~~: __________

       ----

       ... Then let the public participate!

       ----

       == Admin opt-in ==

       __ put spam, vandalism, and off-topic contributions in a delete
queue for review for other admins and the public, three reviewers, or
majority, which ever is highest, must agree

       __ put user in a temporary block queue, include reference link,
three reviewers, or majority, which ever is highest, must agree

       __ clearly explain your problem with the contribution

       __ never resolve your own arguments with deletion and banning,
instead defer to other admins and the public

       I, ~~~~, agree, signed: __________.

       ----

       I think people are easily distracted by "be civil" and the like.
Some people think that means don't argue, or don't revisit a discourse
more than once, or don't repeat yourself.  Admins are the worst offender
against "don't be a dick", including posting a web page saying "don't be
a dick".  That one should go - but that's an editing choice, not a spam
/ vandal / off-topic situation.

       All else is setting examples.  For instance, I'd like to learn
how to be patient, tolerant, accepting, and show equivalent
consideration to all other contributors.  What are you all working on?