[Foundation-l] Do we need a Code of Participation?

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Nov 6 13:23:59 UTC 2007

I can actually following your edit see a use for {{subst:Don't be a jerk}}
as a new Wikinews template for telling people their comments are
inappropriate.

I'd value input from others, this is highly experimental and if it gets out
of control we'll probably have to shut it down because we can't police it.
David's edits are... blunt - but I think that's exactly what is needed for
this. If you start saying things like "Don't post death threats or
incitement to kill GWB" we'll just give people ideas.

I'd like feedback from other people on-list, particularly the non-official
personal opinions of board members. At one point it was said that to do
something as potentially controversial as this would require board approval.
I'd like to see this get an official stamp on it when it is a little more
developed; the policy/guideline that is.

On the whole comments haven't been too bad. They've offended the
sensibilities of one or two sensitive contributors. We have a considerable
number of articles with comments here,
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Category:Wikinews:Commentary_pages_on_news_event
s, the DPL shows the most recently commented on articles and the date is
that of the first comment. The webcomics story is our most commented on to
date, with some comments that perhaps should have been removed. However, as
the article is about what one group perceives as censorship that becomes a
prickly issue.

Brian McNeil