[Foundation-l] Do we need a Code of Participation?

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 22:40:05 UTC 2007

Brian McNeil wrote:
> I agree with Erik's suggestion that all existing accounts should have to go
> through this process, but what if the principles are also listed every time
> you do log in, or by session cookie every time you start an edit session?
>

> Brian.

I'm fine with having it as a set of principles you can put on your User
page (it's probably the best way other people will see it), as a
page-to-sign, yet another infobox or "get a star near your name on your
user page if you agreed to this on your preferences".
Even optionally, it's an eay way for trolls abusing that you signed it.

Showing it every time you do X is only annoying. People which would need
to do it won't pay attention. Some people still don't understand that
when you send an edit you're publishing it under GFDL and it's noted on
*every edit*. And people which wouldn't will be paying for it.  At last,
the disjunctive is "to edit or not to edit", as geni said.
Making optional to join it, it has much more moral sense (even when
you're bound to it by the community politics).