[Foundation-l] [Announcement] French lawsuit against WMF won in court

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 14:59:02 UTC 2007

On Nov 3, 2007 10:56 AM, Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Yes, we've thought this through, thanks Peter.  In the event that this
> became an issue, our position would be that the Foundation itself is not
> paying for content; it is just facilitating a relationship between a
> donor who wants to see a particular thing happen in the projects, and a
> trusted volunteer who shares the same goal.
>
> It's hair-splitting maybe, but legalities generally are :-)

Even if this position failed (but why would it? it's the most
truthful...) surely a court could wrap its head around the idea that
an origination can be the publisher of some information and a
non-publishing service provider of other information, and that said
org should only be responsible for libelous content for which it
published.  An illustration project just doesn't create a lot of libel
claim related exposure.