[Foundation-l] [Announcement] French lawsuit against WMF won in court

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Sat Nov 3 14:56:03 UTC 2007

peter boelens wrote:
> "We maintain that WMF is not the publisher, owner or monitor on any of the
> Wikipedia projects (and obviously not the WP FR). We are pleased to have our
> position upheld and supported in a court of law."
>
> I guess that was one of the compelling reasons to put aside the claim. Has
> the Board considered the implications on this policy from the moment the
> Foundation starts paying for content, as foreseen in the Greenspan
> illustration project?
>
> Peter boelens

Yes, we've thought this through, thanks Peter.  In the event that this
became an issue, our position would be that the Foundation itself is not
paying for content; it is just facilitating a relationship between a
donor who wants to see a particular thing happen in the projects, and a
trusted volunteer who shares the same goal.

It's hair-splitting maybe, but legalities generally are :-)