[Foundation-l] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Greenspan illustration project

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 02:25:45 UTC 2007

On 03/11/2007, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> This list is to discuss the issues where our projects and the foundation
> meet. This list deals with issues that are bigger than a single project.
>
> As an organisation the WMF should be able to have the processes and
> expertise in place to operate. Being able to pay invoices is a primary
> function.
>
> This list is not to micro manage the activities of the Foundation. That
> would be absolutely stupid.

Yes, yes it would. But micromanagement of this project would be saying
"I think you should only pay $10" or "we need to hire a part-time
worker just to administer this grant" or "we need to have a cap on the
number of payments you can receive" or "the invoices should be on
recycled paper" or "there needs to be a committee to make sure we only
use free file formats". (I can imagine our community stating any of
the above with a straight face...)

But the comment you take exception to isn't like that. Saying "this
may cost ten times as much to administer as it seems for reasons X Y
and Z, I can't tell if this has been dealt with or not, I really
suggest you look into this before going ahead" is not micromanagement;
it's advice, and it's exactly the sort of advice this list is useful
for.

(The answer may indeed be "we've looked into it, it's fine", or "we're
willing to live with it for now". But it's never a bad idea to ask,
because sometimes the answer is "oh, damn")

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk