[Foundation-l] Wikimedia brand survey open

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu May 31 22:23:54 UTC 2007

On 5/31/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On 5/31/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > Has it been decided whether or not the individual projects have any say
> in
> > determining their own names, or whether the foundation will impose a
> name
> > upon them from the top down, or is this still up for debate?
>
> It is not decided that anything will change at all, and if it will,
> the parameters of that change are very much up to debate. This survey
> is an informal project I have initiated to collect some data for
> further discussion.

It is worth considering, when it comes to majority decisions on such
> matter, that a group can be its own worst enemy:
> http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

Right, and it was precisely that essay that I had in mind when saying this.
To give an example, I would suggest that Wikipedians (who aren't involved in
Wikinews) shouldn't be involved in a discussion as to whether or not to
change the name of Wikinews, because they are not at all part of the core
group of the Wikinews project.  That would be as silly as letting Chinese
students who don't feel that Tibet is a country vote down the creation of a
Usenet news group for discussing Tibetan culture.

Anthony