[Foundation-l] Wikimedia brand survey open

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu May 31 20:31:23 UTC 2007

On 5/31/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> Has it been decided whether or not the individual projects have any say in
> determining their own names, or whether the foundation will impose a name
> upon them from the top down, or is this still up for debate?

It is not decided that anything will change at all, and if it will,
the parameters of that change are very much up to debate. This survey
is an informal project I have initiated to collect some data for
further discussion.

It is worth considering, when it comes to majority decisions on such
matter, that a group can be its own worst enemy:
http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

Our own view of these brands is clouded by our constant exposure to
them. Our neural networks have become, more or less, adapted to
navigate the jungle of brands and name 1anagrams.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic