[Foundation-l] Firefox and its 52m budget

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Tue May 22 18:57:58 UTC 2007

> >I suppose we could just do a Mozilla link, rather than a
> > Firefox one, but that's neither here nor there yet. The question is, "Is
> > something like this with another non-profit a good idea?"
>
> Firefox has that relationship with Mozilla Corp.

Which was done for financial transparency and convenience, and does conflict
with us. Why do you keep pounding on that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation

As explained in a MozillaZine
article<http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=7085>:
"The Mozilla Foundation will ultimately control the activities of the
Mozilla Corporation and will retain its 100 percent ownership of the new
subsidiary. Any profits made by the Mozilla Corporation will be invested
back into the Mozilla project. There will be no shareholders, no stock
options will be issued and no dividends will be paid. The Mozilla
Corporation will not be floating on the stock market and it will be
impossible for any company to take over or buy a stake in the subsidiary.
The Mozilla Foundation will continue to own the Mozilla trademarks and other
intellectual property and will license them to the Mozilla Corporation. The
Foundation will also continue to govern the source code repository and
control who is allowed to check in."

IBM write an open source browser (or purchase opera) and offer you a
> significant chunk of cash to link to it. What do you do?

Again, are we exclusive with Firefox on this  theoretical deal?  Is IBM a
non-profit open source non-commericial?

Regards,
Joe
http://www.joeszilagyi.com