[Foundation-l] [announcement] new staff member in businessdevelopment

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun May 20 14:27:15 UTC 2007

On 5/20/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
> > On 5/20/07, Casey Brown <cbrown1023 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >> You seriously do not understand the inner-workings of this organization.  We
> >> do not have "millions of dollars" right now, we have enough to get by and
> >> probably some more, but we definitely do not have the large amount you are
> >> talking about.
> >
> > I'm sorry if I implied that the WMF currently had "millions of
> > dollars".  The fact is I have no idea how much the WMF currently has,
> > as it stopped regular disclosure of this information years ago and
> > hasn't yet resumed doing so.
>
> WMF is regularly disclosing information about the MILLIONS of dollars
> raised by donations.

Amount raised by donations is only one part of a calculation of how
much the foundation currently has.

Any idea how much the cost is to the WMF to add a datafeed client?  As
I've said, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is.  Give me a
datafeed, at 2x cost, with no restrictions on reselling it.  I'll set
up a non-profit organization dedicated to distributing the data, and
I'll take out a $25,000 personal loan at prosper.com which I'll turn
around and reloan to the non-profit at the same interest rate.  I'll
then set up a server with a MySQL database containing the data and
offer shell accounts on the server for $10/month.

Deal?

Anthony