[Foundation-l] Native American Tribes Policy

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue May 15 23:48:27 UTC 2007

Fred Bauder wrote:

> [...]
So when did we become rug merchants?  Assuming that that weaver passed
the usual verifiability standards there's no reason for us to do the
original research to establish  whether she really is Navajo.  I at
least assume that her patterns are consistent with traditional Navajo
patterns.  If someone is putting out thousands for this kind of thing it
comes down to a question of "buyer beware".  We agree with teachers who
tell their students not to rely on Wikipedia as a sole source of
information.  Why should rug buyers be treated any differently.

A blurb I saw a couple of years ago in "Utne Reader" spoke of a painting
that was bought for $5.00 in a flea market.  It bore a remarkable
similarity to a typical Jackson Pollock painting, but was unsigned.  A
genuine Pollock would sell for more than $5.00.  If a person pays big
money to buy such a painting on speculation they need to accept the
risks instead of trying to blame someone else for their own stupidity.

Ec