[Foundation-l] Native American Tribes Policy

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Tue May 15 17:50:42 UTC 2007

> On 5/15/07, Jeffrey V. Merkey <jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:
> > Criminal liaibility is not exempted under this section. Better go read
> > it again.
>
> Ok what is the exact federal statute you think the foundation would be
> in violation of?

Based on the wording of the proposal, and Jeffrey's wording here, the sense
seems to be that the policy is meant to appeal both to the sensibilities of
the tribal nations, as well as supporting the ideal that only the United
States Federal government can decide who's a legitimate "Indian tribe".
Several issues, unless I'm being dense or ignorant, with all that.

1. "en.wikipedia.org" isn't "unitedstates.wikipedia.org". Wikipedia's only
obligation to the US is to not break laws where they're hosted. Anything
else is irrelevant, since it's explicitely not supposed to be an American
encyclopedia.

2. The United States has zero jurisdiction on "who is Indian" outside of the
United States. Are tribes in Canada reliant on US law?

3. Why are we worrying about appealing to the support and/or sensibilities
of the tribes with their own policy? Do we have WP:Muslim, WP:Jews,
WP:Hungarian, WP:Tamil, and WP:Somalians?

--
Regards,
Joe