[Foundation-l] Think different

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Fri May 11 19:17:16 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> No. The verb has more to do with freeing something from restriction,
>> such as freeing someone from gaol.  Free speech may derive from that but
>> it is a much narrower meaning.
>
> Of course "free speech" has a narrower meaning than "free", but we
> weren't talking about the definition of free speech, we were talking
> about the definition of free. The free in "free speech" means exactly
> the same as the free in "freeing someone from gaol".

It's a pun because the meaning is different depending on which way you
read it. As an adjective, the knowledge is free; as a verb, it's telling
you to make the knowledge free. The pun only arises because the verb and
the adjective are the same -- "good food" does not imply that one should
make good food.

-- Tim Starling