[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Wed May 9 22:43:04 UTC 2007

Alison Wheeler schreef:
> On Wed, May 9, 2007 13:43, Brianna Laugher wrote:
>> b) How does renaming the projects generate funds?
>
> With a few minor exceptions, people donate / give grants to Wikimedia
> because of Wikipedia. It is the big encyclopaedia which draws in the
> largest number of eyeballs and has by a very long way the most name
> recognition and, therefore, finances all the other projects. If those
> other projects were to try and raise money on their own account - to be
> the 'independent projects' that some seem to desire - they would fall at
> the first hurdle.

But who are the wikis that costs all the money? That must be EN
Wikipedia and the rest of the top 5 or 6 wikipedias and commons.

The others wikis may have not a lot fund raising power but the do not
need it because the are so small.

My total yearly operating budget for wikizine is about 30 euro. I know
that is not the same but even with a couple of zeros after it the cost
on the total budget for the smaller wikis must be pocket change.

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community