[Foundation-l] Encyclopedia of Life

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed May 9 09:54:51 UTC 2007

http://www.eol.org/home.html

"Imagine an electronic page for each species of organism on Earth,
available everywhere by single access on command. " --E.O. Wilson

They have an amazing number of sponsors, partner organisations, FUNDS, etc...

Want to be mega-impressed? Check out one of their demo pages:
http://www.eol.org/vision/rice_expert.html (although they list
Wikipedia as one of the sources, which is, um...)

Now that's a killer interface.

They don't have a statement about what the license will be, but they say this:
"A possible area of obstacles or dangers is intellectual property. The
Encyclopedia will be very generous with credit and recognition, and we
will soon be posting a general statement of principle about open and
accessible content, encouraging sharing, and so on. The world of the
Internet and software changes so fast, we know we need to be very
alert to what are considered good and prudent practices."