[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed May 9 04:25:06 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Besides that, since in the modern world "-pedia" is often used for
> refering something encyclopedia alike, names alike "XXpedia Books"
> "XXpedia Dictionary" would be confusable. I've seen some people failed
> to distinguish dictionary from encyclopidia, and vice versa, but I am
> not sure such ambiguity is helpful for increasing our "recognition" in
> the long term.

Modern encyclopedic collections such as Britannica and Encarta contain
far more content than just what you could rigidly define as
encyclopedic, such as atlases, important source texts, licensed
dictionaries, interactive media, learning materials, etc. Much of this
would be under the scope of existing WMF projects. The notion that
other representations of knowledge are associated with a mission to
create an encyclopedia is not at all alien.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic