[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed May 9 04:22:03 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> In my opinion there should be more attention for the other projects and
> languages. This is an argument I have made often before. With a rename to
> Wikipedia something, the amount of attention within the WMF will only get
> worse.

That is an assertion. You have not provided reasons for it. I assert
the opposite, with the following reasons:
1) It makes it easier to raise funds, thanks to the strength of the WP brand
2) The rebranding alone will instantly elevate the projects'
visibility, if properly orchestrated.
3) It lowers the initial barrier of skepticism that people (both
newbies and WP regulars) will have when first seeing the project names
and logos, due to their familiarity with Wikipedia.
4) It encourages the strongest element of the community (the Wikipedia
subset) to think of these projects as being part of a single, unified
mission, a set of shared values, and an undying ambition.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic