[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue May 8 10:07:53 UTC 2007

2007/5/8, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com>:

> No. At the moment Wikipedia and Wikibooks and Wikinews etc are all
> conceptually on the same level. But Wikipedia and Wikipedia Textbooks
> and Wikipedia News? These latter two are conceptually at a lower
> level. Reorganising projects like this would not "merely" reduce
> confusion, it would change people's perceptions about the relations
> between these entities...and their relative importance.

This is the great danger I see too. If you rename, say, Wikibooks to
Wikipedia Textbooks, you give the impression that it is part of
Wikipedia, that its function is to serve Wikipedia. Currently, many
projects are trying (and not rarely succeeding) to get their own
identity, with their own plans and functions. By renaming them to
"Wikipedia something", we would be telling them that that is not the
way we want to go. I think that's a big hurdle to be taken, with
relatively minor gain.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels