[Foundation-l] On closing projects

Johannes Rohr jorohr at gmail.com
Mon May 7 13:16:47 UTC 2007

"Erik Moeller" <erik at wikimedia.org> writes:

> I've been asked by a number of people to comment on our procedure for
> closing projects, specifically the LangCom's policy proposal & the
> issue of the Siberian Wikipedia.
>
> As far as I can tell -
>
> 1) There is a functioning process at:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects

Well, the page exists, but I would hesitate to call it a "functioning
process". There are no clearcut guidelines yet, there is no throughout
description of the policy and finally, there are endless discussions
but no final decisions.

> Insofar as it is not currently the case, I believe stewards should
> generally be the ones closing these discussions.

That's fine with me, although I was told it was a "community managed
process", without reference to special user privileges. Therefore I
put a closure notice on two discussions, concerning the Kanuri and the
Inuktitut Wikis. In both cases the consensus appears to be more than
clear. If this is deemed as inappropriate, feel free to revert.

It would be fine, if one or more stewards would indicate their
willingness to take care of this - for starters, at least of the
non-controversial cases, i.e. inactive and empty projects which have
no community as well as active projects, the closure of which has been
overwhelmingly rejected.

[...]

Thanks,

Johannes