[Foundation-l] PD in Israel

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon May 7 09:14:09 UTC 2007

Bryan Tong Minh wrote:

>Related to this, there is a discussion on Commons:
>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Licensing#Images_PD_outside_of_the_U.S._but_not_PD_in_the_U.S._.28URAA_restoration.29
>
>Maybe somebody from the Foundation is willing to comment there?
>
>Bryan
>
>On 5/6/07, Yoni Weiden <yonidebest at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Is there any possibility that the foundation represents it's insight on the
>>PD-Israel issue? I want to be 100% sure that there are images that are PD in
>>Israel but not PD in the US before I delete such images from the Hebrew
>>Wikipedia.

Another thing that one might consider in this is the ruling at
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Itar-Tass_Russian_News_Agency_v._Russian_Kurier%2C_Inc._-_153_F.3d_82_%282d_Cir._1998%29

This did rule that ownership of a copyright was ruled by the law of the
country of origin.  Ownership of a copyright also has duration of
copyright as one of its elements.  Thus it can be argued that the other
country's duration should apply.  It is not the Berne Convention the is
affecting the duration of copyright, since that would generate a life +
50 years situation rather than the longer period that exists in many
other countries.

Another interesting argument that can be made for restored works is that
they would be granted the protection available to US works on the basis
of the law at the time they were published.  A US work published in 1924
had to have its copyright renewed in 1952.  The same should apply to
restored foreign works.

Ec