[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Non-free content policy - Wikimedia images?

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Sun May 6 18:28:31 UTC 2007

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Non-free_content#Policy
>
> As worded, this appears to apply to Wikimedia images on user pages -
> which aren't using someone else's work as "fair use", but aren't free
> content. Is that the case?
>
> If Wikimedia images aren't forbidden on user pages, what says so?
>
> What about derived versions of Wikimedia images on user pages?

Yeah, this is a gray area. If the Foundation would say something about
how the logo can be used on the project that would be great. There are
obviously a lot of templates that use the logo, and I think most
people think that's fine. On the other hand derived versions of the
logo usually get deleted as being non licensed derivative works. The
visual identity guideline says no derivatives can be published without
prior foundation approval, but whether this means all logos or only
the foundation logo is unclear.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_visual_identity_guidelines

I would like to see some policy saying that the logo can be used for
any reason as long as it falls within the functioning of wikipedia,
but as I am not the copyright holder... :) Also some guidance on
wikipedia logo derivatives would be great, I kinda lean towards no
derivatives for style consistency reasons, but that's just my opinion.

Judson
[[:en:User:Cohesion]]