[Foundation-l] Election Notice

Jan-Bart de Vreede wiki at devreede.net
Sat May 5 18:05:59 UTC 2007

Dear members of the community,

As most of you know we will be holding elections for the Wikimedia
Foundation Board of Trustees in the near future. Your elected
representatives Erik Möller (Eloquence), Kat Walsh (Mindspillage) and
Oscar van Dillen (Oscar) all have terms that expire on July 1st 2007. We
will therefore hold elections for these three seats in the coming months.

As a nominated member of the Board of Trustees it has been decided that
I will be the person who will be the contact for these elections within
the Board. But the real process will be guided by an "election
committee". Amongst other things, the Election Committee will discuss
and explore::
1) revisions to the election method and process
2) limiting organizational access to ongoing election records
3) technological measures to improve voting security.

At this time I would like to ask any interested volunteers to submit a
brief summary of qualifications to volunteering at wikimedia.org.  This
summary should consist of your username, list of active projects, real
name and a paragraph or two explaining the skills that you feel would
benefit the foundation in the elections process. The deadline for
applications is the end of Sunday the 13th of May (UTC).

There are only a few conditions to becoming a volunteer.

1) You are willing to spend the time in the next months working on the
elections
2) You cannot run in the election yourself
3) you have not been a vocal supporter of one of the (future)
candidates, and will not speak in support of any candidate
4) You may not vote in the election

Hopefully these elections will reflect the spirit within all Wikimedia
projects and show an even more active and stronger community than the
last time!

Jan-Bart de Vreede
Vice Chair Board of Trustees
Wikimedia Foundation