[Foundation-l] Interwiki map criteria and nofollow

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed May 2 13:16:41 UTC 2007

> On 02/05/07, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>
> > To quote Anthere: "Either all links (external and interwiki) should be
> > nofollow.  Or none of them should be.  Or we can work on white lists
> > together for both types of links."
>
> As she noted in a followup, that was her speaking as user:Anthere
> rather than ex cathedra as Chair of the Board of the Wikimedia
> Foundation. Jimbomancy is bad enough ...

Of course.  As Board Chair she has no say anyway, just a vote if the
board wishes to pass a resolution.

I still think her quote is quite appropriate.  If we're going to turn
off nofollow for certain links, a good candidate would be IMDB, for
instance.  But they can't get an IW link per the criteria you set up,
as they're not a wiki.  So if we want to whitelist sites, let's create
a whitelist for all types of links.

But really I think we should stop doing the job of the search engines.

Anthony