[Foundation-l] WMF resolution on access to non-public data passed

sannse sannse at gmail.com
Tue May 1 11:16:36 UTC 2007

> You would only be giving the information to the foundation - I don't
> think they'll give it to anyone else (short of a subpoena, I guess).
> What benign reasons can you really have for not wanting the WMF to
> know who you are? Seems like slightly excessive paranoia, to me.

One person from Wikimedia has already accidentally used my real name
in a public mailing list (although iirc he spelt it wrong).  And a
private wiki with that name on my user page was found to be
accidentally open to all to view.  And that's with me being
"paranoid".

And as just one example of a reason: I am open on-line about being a
gay woman.  I'm not quite that open in the 3D world.  For me my real
name being linked with "sannse" would be a mild embarrassment that may
damage my relationship with a few aunts and uncles.  For some a
revelation like that could be /very/ dangerous in many ways.  That's
just one reason off the top of my head.

But really, that's not the point for me... my name is none of your
damn business.  It's no harm if you go rummaging though my underwear
drawer, but I'm not going to allow that either.

-- sannse