[Foundation-l] WMF resolution on access to non-public datapassed

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue May 1 02:14:40 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Casey Brown <cbrown1023 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I don't think so.  We do not have access to non-public data.  There are
> messages posted everywhere that this is just a mailing list and that they
> should not share any private information.
>
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023

The concern I have, and the reason that I want the foundation to
clarify, is that we do get people's real identity info in many cases,
some of them send us real name, "real" email addresses, in some cases
even home addresses, phone numbers, etc. in the process of identifying
to work on an unblock.

The Checkuser info in comparison only amounts to IP address backtracking.

We don't require real ID for most cases, but it has come by in many
many incidents.  In some cases it's sent without us even asking for
it, and in other cases (of alledged sockpuppetry) it's been negotiated
as a way to prove that you're someone else.

Our concern over this info was why we shut the unblock-en-l list down
from open to closed a month or two ago, after all.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com