[Foundation-l] Belarusan Wikipedia

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 08:40:28 UTC 2007

2007/3/31, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com>:
> On 31/03/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> > > It shouldn't be. I'll try to figure out what's going on there.
> >
> > Ah, apparently a misunderstanding; Brion thought a move to "be-x-old"
> > was meant to imply that it is an archive of the existing Wikipedia.
> > The "old" refers to the orthography, not the wiki.
> >
> > I have asked him to remove the lockfile; both wikis should be editable
> > now. Mind you, it might be a good idea to merge them, to kill one of
> > them, or whatever. This is for the community to work out, and I'm not
> > going to have us impose a preference for any solution.
> >
> > For now, the only thing we have authorized the LangCom to decide is
> > what the language codes for the respective versions should be if they
> > are to be separate. *Not* to close or lock wikis. That is not within
> > the authority of the LangCom.
>
> Thanks for clearing this up. I think the unannounced lock was one of
> the main points of confusion and contention among the community.

I am wondereing what has happened with all interwiki links which were
pointing to the old version. As the old version was two times larger
than the new one many interwiki points to the non-existing pages. Even
the still existing ones sometimes point to nowhere as the old spelling
of them is slightly different the new one. What is the interwiki code
for old version?
This especially affected Polish Wikipedia, as we have a lot of
articles about cities and villages in Biellaruss, as well as the
Biellarusian VIPs, but I expect many other Wikipedias are affected as
well.

And again I am repeating my old questions. Did the LangComm contacted
any experts from outisde before this decission was made, or just
decided on the basis of short and probably biased discussion on meta?

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.poli.toya.net.pl