[Foundation-l] Language Prevention Committee created

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 06:14:14 UTC 2007

It is now. The Language Prevention Committee (Langprevcom for short)
won't allow you to have your new Wiki until you have a localised
messages file. But then they probably won't allow it anyways for some
other reason, and you will have to wait several billion years.

Mark

On 27/03/07, Titoxd at Wikimedia <titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry, but all of this seems rather strange to me.
> First, the world is not going to explode if a wiki does not have a language
> file - the wiki will just return to the default language, English. You do
> not *need* a language file to customize the interface - that is what the
> MediaWiki namespace is for. You can begin customizing the interface
> gradually, see what you need, and do it at your own pace.
> If for some reason that I do not comprehend, that is unacceptable, then you
> can generate a language file from the customized wiki itself! Just go to
> Special:Allmessages, click on the "PHP" output format (for the English
> Wikipedia, this page would be
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Allmessages&ot=php ) and
> you have 80% of your language file right there. The rest is basic language
> information, such as whether you write left to right or right to left, and
> you can see it, for example, at the top of the Spanish language file at
> http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/languages/messages/Me
> ssagesEs.php?view=markup (for full, copious comments as to what these
> statements are, see the corresponding English file at
> http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/languages/messages/Me
> ssagesEn.php?view=markup ).
> After this, you can submit a bug to BugZilla. Adding a new
> internationalization file is usually a fairly trivial operation. What the
> developers won't do is internationalize the file for you - you need to
> provide them with the details. But again, this is *not* something that has
> to be done *before* the wiki is set up.
>
> Titoxd.

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.