[Foundation-l] Language Prevention Committee created

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 21:30:59 UTC 2007

--- Sabine Cretella <sabine_cretella at yahoo.it> wrote:

> I repeat: we are not sacrificing any language, we
> are trying to make
> sure they can survive and grow more easily. Who
> knows me should know
> that I am all for new languages, but it does not
> make sense if the
> communities afterwards have to hassle with thousands
> of issues they were
> not aware of and they don't even know with who to
> talk. These people
> most of the time are simply left alone and that has
> nothing to do with
> "our own little fights".

I think this is very important point.  If the new
language committee cannot attract the help of
developers for a language, pre-launch.  There is very,
very little chance the new community will ever get
help from developers to fix issues afterwords.  It is
extremely difficult to get anything implemented on a
small project even when you speak English natively and
know who to contact.  I have personally never actually
succeeded, and am less hopeful each passing month.

I really do sympathize with the communities stuck in
the incubator, but from what has been said here it
seems to be for their own good in the long run.  There
are very serious problems with the lack of developer
resources for anything outside of the largest
Wikipedias.  They will not benefit from going live
now, and having to struggle to attract developer
attention on their own later.

BirgitteSB