[Foundation-l] Foundation Licensing Policy

Kat Walsh mindspillage at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 13:50:44 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunate, I can not discover any procedure how an EDP should be
> written. The resolution doesnt state any procedure of approving by the
> Foundation, as I beleive it was in the proposal. The backside of this
> is that it is very well possible that projects will develop EDP's that
> are conflicting with law, as many projects do not have sufficient
> lawyer capacity (such as nlwiki), especially on US law of course, but
> also on local law(s), to determine whether an EDP is conflicting or
> not. Further there is no demand that the foundation can check whether
> the EDP is as it was meant to. These are points I brought up earlier,
> and I am sad that they were left out completely now. I hope very much
> that some procedure will be developed anyway to have EDP's approved by
> the WMF.

See point 6 in the resolution: "The Foundation resolves to assist all
project communities who wish to develop an EDP with their process of
developing it." Though if a project can develop one on their own with
minimal assistance, that's even better!

As for "no demand that the foundation can check whether the EDP is as
it was meant to", I'm not sure what you mean. As for the difficulty of
checking, we can always have something translated. As for whether we
have the authority to, I don't think it needs to be said -- if a
policy exists it means that we can change things that do not conform
to it, same as any other policy. There is no formal approval process
in place, no, but all are subject to review.

> Further I understand from the examples that a project might have
> multiple EDP's? (w:en:WP:FU is mentionned as one example, I guess a
> project could have more EDP then just FU?)

Even if for some reason they are split across multiple pages, it's
still one policy on what can be included.

-Kat

--
Wikimedia needs you: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising