[Foundation-l] Wikireader (was re: Wikimania 2007 Team Bulletin, March 25, 2007)

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Mar 27 06:04:38 UTC 2007

Titoxd at Wikimedia wrote:
> One question: were the de.wp WikiReaders "published" (meaning that they were
> done by a commercial entity and sold to the public) or not? Were the en.wp
> WikiReaders "published" as well, or were they just handed out at Wikimania?
> I ask this because the Version 1.0 Editorial Team is interested in picking
> this up and producing commercially available WikiReaders (and several
> WikiProjects have announced that they're interested in this: WikiProjects
> Military History, LGBT studies and Tropical cyclones, off the top of my
> head. Military History has actually begun work on this at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:MILPUB . However, remembering the Lulu Press
> incident, we want to make sure all our ducks are in a row.
>
> Titoxd

It is funny you mention the Lulu Press incident.  I made some comments
about that on en.wikipedia here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Featured_articles#Should_we_publish_a_compilation_of_featured_articles.3F

I don't think they listened very well as there is now a website,
definitely not run by the WMF as far as I can tell, that is selling at
least the Wikipedia DVDs and possibly the Wikireaders here:

http://www.wikipediaondvd.com/

I would like to note the very extensive use of the WMF logos and
trademarks on this website, not to mention the name "wikipedia" in the URL.

I don't think they are trying to intentionally harm the WMF, but I think
some people here on this list should be aware of this issue.

-- Robert Horning