[Foundation-l] Wikibooks NL is changing License

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:11:49 UTC 2007

On 23/03/07, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Note that on the long term, this particular situation will go away, as
> future revisions of CC-BY-SA and GFDL will likely be made compatible.

I wish. Have you seen CC by-sa 3.0? Some versions are free content
licences and some aren't! With onerous codification of moral rights
that are disjoint with copyright, and default anyway in the countries
affected. Well done CC.

*aaaaargh*

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Licensing#Creative_Commons_3.0_Licenses

I can trust that CC is a good organisation, and better than bad. But.
They're not all about the free content. We are, so that's an immediate
source of problems.

I have had real life examples of this, e.g. a discussion with Channel
4 FourDocs. Their words: "We'd love our stuff on Wikipedia. It's all
Creative Commons!" It's CC by-nc-nd. ARGH.

The Creative Commons confusion factor is (a) real (b) a serious
problem for us right now in getting content freed. Their jawdropping
idiocy in making some CC by-sa 3.0 licenses free content and others
not actually makes this much worse than before.

Stallman was right. Again.

- d.