[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Accountability: bringing back a proposal I made nearly 2 years ago

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Thu Mar 15 20:43:57 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> On 15/03/07, luke brandt <shojokid at gmail.com> wrote on foundation-l:
>

>> Any views from the Foundation, or others, in light of the discussion and
>> straw vote:-
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales/Credential_Verification#Straw_poll_on_each_proposal
>> This needs to be resolved quickly (if public interest is to be taken
>> into account) But only one proposal seems to be garnering significant
>> support in the EN community - luke
>>

> I note particularly these comments from User:Armed Blowfish -
>

>     I believe that any credential or identity verification system will
> increase systemic bias against people from developing countries,
> people without documentation, and people too poor to get a good
> education, if any education at all. UNICEF estimates that one third of
> the world's population do not even have a birth
> certificates.(http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0098-7921%28199809%2924%3A3%3C659%3AUODBRI%3E2.0.CO%3B2-6&size=LARGE)
> (http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/media_35255.html) The economic
> inability to get a good education, as is common in developing
> countries, does not make someone less intelligent.

I would have to add here that I believe that even the distinction of an
asumption that if you are from a "developed" country that you have money
oozing out of your orafices is one that also has to be shot down, and
killed completely.  Even in so-called developed countries, there are
many individuals who don't have college educations due to circumstances
and a decided lack of opprotunity.  Certainly it is easier to get one
from a country who has a pervasive attitude of encouraging their
citizens to get a college education and provides that opportunity where
possible, but there still are "working poor" even in the most
enlightened and developed countries of the world.

And I believe you can get very meaningful contributions from many of
these same individuals who certainly don't have a PhD.  The difference
in the success of Wikipedia vs. Nupedia is a very clear example that
having a PhD is not necessarily a manditory prerequisite to developing
an outstanding reference work.  Least anybody forget, it was clearly
stated that degrees mattered with Nupedia contributions, and it was felt
that only somebody with a PhD *in that very subject* could contribute
what we would call a featured article class Wikipedia article today.
Somebody with only a mere bachelor's degree would only be capable of
making what would be called a stub.  While certainly people who possess
the knowledge level of a PhD can (and do!) make meaningful and
substantial contributions to Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects,
they are not the most exclusive set of individuals who contribute to
featured articles.

It would be interesting to go through the FA articles and see just how
many involved major contributions that even mentioned educational
credentials at all, or where it even was mentioned in the first place.
While I havn't done this sort of statistical analysis, I would think the
results of any such search would reveal a decided lack of educational
credentials on most subjects by its primary contributors.  And FA class
articles would be on the statistical tail where I think you would be
more likely to find educational credentials brought up in serious
discussions.

-- Robert Horning