[Foundation-l] Censorship: Speedy deletion of porn articles

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Mar 9 19:23:02 UTC 2007

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Then you need to go make your arguments to the folks on that Wiki or
> fork the Hebrew Wikipedia
> and head off on your own if you cannot make headway. The folks here are
> not going to dictate to
> another group to do something contrary to their culture. It's an open
> internet after all.
>
> Good luck.
> :-)
>
> Jeff

If accounts are being blocked because of content editing issues like
this, it makes trying to make a persuasive argument to overturn a policy
difficult or even impossible to make.  I just got through with one of
these content editing disputes where it became registered user vs.
admin, and the ordinary user had his account blocked.  There were other
issues involved here too, but if you can't make your case in the first
place, you can't even get started to make a counter argument.

As far as doing a full fork of a project, I would agree that is always
an option, but it is an option of very last resort.  And something that
I hope is not encouraged at all except in the most extreme situations.
At best a fork will divide the community with redundant efforts
happening for the same general effort (such as happened with the
es.wikipedia some time ago).  Even then, the move to make a fork will
create so much ill will for everybody involved, including or especially
with the people who create the fork.  There is no reason to allow a
group to take over a project because you have some ideological differences.

--Robert Horning